And so the first quarter of my year of living creatively is over. The verdict? It’s tough, demanding and exhausting, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Here are my takeaways for anyone starting out on – or thinking about – the creative living journey:
- whether you plan your finances or not, you’ll still survive
- count your blessings daily (here are mine: vases of flowers in all my rooms, a baked dinner with my girls and their friends, and more boardgames than I want to count, oh, and a clean kitchen sink helps)
- a full fruit bowl on the table, even if the peaches and plums are of questionable quality
- contented animals who are safe, loved who want nothing more than for me to pick up a cricket bat and hit tennis balls for them 24/7
And as for my writing and my business, here are the takeaways so far:
- if you don’t take step one, steps two, three and four can’t happen
- people who like what you do will find you, regardless of how good you are at FB ads
- everyone – well, almost everyone – wants you to succeed and will go all out to help you
- investing in your own education is imperative, whether it be conferences, online courses or meeting with fellow creatives via FB groups or in person – knowing you’re not alone helps A LOT
- podcasting gets easier, and it’s fun
- for every one thing that goes right, three things will go wrong and it’s up to you to decide which ones you count
- sleep, some nights, is a luxury you can’t afford
- often, there are more questions than answers and that’s when it’s time to take a day off, find a grassy patch under a tree and stare up at the clouds…the answers are up there, somewhere…
- multiple streams of income are possible and as you build your product line, more possible by the day
- people need what you’re offering, even if you don’t believe it yet
- dragon dictation works, even if it takes awhile to convince it to punctuate
- give back, or to coin the lingo, play it forward
- teach someone coming along behind you – you’ll be surprised at how much you know
- If I can make a living from living creatively so can you
Life has a funny way of filling in the blanks so even if you’re not sure that living a creative life is for you, but you’re curious, give it a go…you’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I, for one, am here to help you every step of the way and you’ll be surprised at how many other people are, too.
You can find out more about my coaching service here.
And Take 10 Social’s FB Masterclass here.